Tuesday, July 24, 2012

It's been interesting the past 2 days! Bill's biopsy went well and the results today were no rejection again. His prednisone is going to be lowered again which could also help with the mood swings. He only had a short time yesterday when the evil one started to come out. But it still seems to work when I tell him I'm not talking about that anymore. And this time the change was almost immediate. Makes me wonder if he knows what he's doing.

His swallow study has been scheduled for Thursday morning and we will get the results that afternoon. He also has an appointment with the surgeon on his wound. Maybe both the wound vac and the feeding tube will be gone soon.

JoEllen has been pleased with his progress while she was gone. He ate a banana yesterday, without it being mushed and today he ate most of a bowl of oatmeal with milk and did quite well with both of them. She would like to have him put back on the Aricept and Namenda to see if it helps his cognition. I've got a call in to Dr. Yip to see if it will affect the heart any.

He walked quite a bit the last 2 days and has gotten quite steady without any support. He still gets tired easily and I think that's more a result of having to concentrate so hard to get his legs to move how and when he wants them to.

There has been another patient who has been quite abusive to the staff on the unit. He spits at the nurses and deliberately pours his drinks on the carpet and yells at the CNAs. Yesterday he was loose on the unit and stopped me and asked if I knew where the store was. (There is a store there but I haven't found it yet). I told him I did not know and he told me to turn around and go back the way I had just come and I would find it. I told him all I had seen down there was the piano. A staff member walked by and he told me just to follow her and I would find it. I told him I didn't want to go back that way and he then asked if I was as stupid as the woman who just walked past us! I told him I guessed I was but I wanted to go the other way. Since I knew how badly he treated everyone I really wanted to ask him if he was always that rude to people, but Mom, you raised me too well! I just couldn't do it!

I got my new glasses today finally and, even though it took awhile, I can see quite well with my regular glasses. However, I can't see worth beans with the sunglasses. And only the top half of the lens is tinted. I can see fine through the bifocal part which is not tinted, but the clearest part for distance is in the progressive section which is where the tint stops. Guess I'll try them for a few more days and if they don't work I'll take them back to see what can be done. They also aren't very dark and since my travel is east in the morning and west in the evening, I'm always looking into the sun. Good thing I still have my "old people" glasses that fit over my regular ones. May have to keep wearing those!

 Oh yeah, he finally got a new IV pole. The one he had was very unstable and was finally leaning so badly that if it was touched it started to topple. Bill hit it yesterday with the wheelchair during speech therapy and JoEllen made a great athletic move to catch it before it hit him on the head, while forgetting where she was and said a couple of choice words! I finally caught Tammie before she left and showed it to her and within 10 minutes we had a new one. This after 3 days of asking for 1!

So, that's what's been going on in our world the past couple of days. We've now gone over 10,000 hits on this page which is unbelieveable to me. I never thought it would go this far when I started it 3 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment