Sunday, July 1, 2012

Still tired and don't feel real well. Extreme weather changes play havoc with my allergies and breathing.! Anyway, I'll be OK, just takes time. Plus, people knocking on the WRONG door (mine) in the middle of the night and again early this morning. Don and Shirley said it happened while they were here but I didn't hear it then.

We were both not feeling well yesterday, both with diahrea, and we were both tired all morning. You can't say we don't do things together!  Bill didn't want to do anything but sleep. I finally came home for a few hours to do laundry and rest some myself. When I got back he had forgotten where I was and was in panic mode. The nurse was looking for my phone number, which she finally brought in after I had been back for an hour! Then we didn't see her at all the rest of the day! Bill was also very emotional all afternoon, which goes along with the stroke and his circumstances. He's doesn't think that he's getting any better and he realizes just how weak he is. Of course he also thinks that being able to eat will solve all the problems. I think therapy is going to have to get really aggressive now and really push him, or he's going to decide it's not worth it and just stop trying. So, another meeting to ask for this week.

I had high hopes for the meds last night. The nurse stood outside his room with the medicine cart from 5:15 until 5:45...then pushed it away! At 8 I finally went looking for a nurse, any nurse, to see what was going on. Found his overnight nurse from last night and asked when he was going to get the meds. She said the computer was down and she could only do the meds for patients that were her regular patients because she knew what they got. So, I told her what the 6 pm meds were. I have to give her credit she was there with them in 10 minutes, and then SHE got upset because his food still hadn't been hooked up again at the right time.

On week-ends, I think they just have part-time nurses. I know there were only 2 CNAs for each shift all day, which doesn't make much sense since the patients don't disappear overnight, or at least as a general rule! The day nurse we had, who was just competent, got off at 4. The one that replaced her only worked until 7 and she never came into his room. If she's hired to just do meds for 3 or 4 hours, she should be able to accomplish that for 22 patients. Or, that would be my thinking if she's not supposed to do anything else.

So now I don't just have random notes, I have all of the nurses names, except for the phantom one, and I can get that. But there will be a phone call to Stephanie tomorrow morning and, since the unit manager's office is directly across the hall from Bill's room, I can see when she's in her office. Spent a long time on the phone with Mary-Rose last night and got some things from her to go over with Tammy. Again, we're back at the point that I'm concerned that Bill will be the one who suffers from this. But, it can't continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment