Monday, June 11, 2012

Big day again so far today! Trach is OUT! He's also walked 170 feet. The dressing for the wound vac has to be this afternoon so pain meds are already on board. They are also going to have to put the Foley catheter back in. He's still unable to urinate and it's torturing him to straight cath him every 6 hours. There's a risk of infection either way, but the Foley is only torture once and since he already has the pain meds it won't be so bad.

We have a glitch with moving him. There is no way around the problem with his biopsies with the center I chose and my second choice won't take him with the feeding tube. So, there's a facility on the Mayo Campus. It runs the gamut from single family dwelling to condo, to assisted living to skilled nursing and hospice. It's 5 minutes away and I toured it this morning. I was please with it and I can be there as much or as little as I want. The rooms were very nice, some with separate sitting areas and some with balconies. I also got to see the therapy rooms and they were very nice. It was also recommended by Tina, our coordinator.

When I got back to his room, he looked at me and started crying saying he wasn't good for anything and he couldn't do anything. So, we've had "the talk" about what has happened to him and what is still going to happen. It was a pretty intense, emotional, morning, but I think it will ultimately turn out to be the best thing for him now. He also cried more with the therapist, but I think he really likes her since she is very encouraging and can get him to respond to her.

All for now, will update when the other stuff is done. They may try to have him walk again this afternoon to see how he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment