Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sorry I didn't get this updated. Woke up at 3:30 this morning after going to bed at 11:00. I guess still too concerned about the meds to rest easily. Finally got up at 4:30 and managed to get some paperwork done that I had been putting off.

Bill was awake when I got there this morning and very chatty. He said he got his meds, but not under his tongue. I'm sure they are still putting them through his feeding tube. And, again this evening, I left a little after 7 and he still had not gotten his 6 pm meds. The main problem with him not getting them is that the one that goes under his tongue will clog the tube and is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach. So, when they put it through the feeding tube while it is running food affects the way it works. Bill has also been complaining of pain at the site of the tube and I wonder if that is the reason.

He had therapy without me today as I had run out to the store. Apparently there are a lot of incontinent patients as the center was down to its last package of Depends and they were being rationed. So, off to Walmart I go. Also got him a cheap electric razor. His beard has gotten so long in places that it hurts to shave so we're hoping that this will be a little better. Anyway, while I was gone they came to get him for therapy. He said he did what they told him, but he really wanted to walk so he told them he wasn't going to do anymore!

After I got back we got him back into his wheelchair and went outside. It was a great day, hot but a nice sea breeze blowing. Our CNA today was a gem again and she managed to get him onto the toilet instead of the bedpan. I'm going to see if we can get a bedside comode for him. He was using one at Mayo and he hates the bedpan. He's been constipated so he really needs to empty out but he won't do it in the bedpan.

He's becoming obsessed with food! Every day he asks me if we can go out for breakfast or get something to eat for supper. He also said he's ready to get back into the kitchen, and is trying to con me into getting him some coffee! I hope they get his swallow test done soon. The tube feedings apparently aren't filling him up because he says that he's hungry. I'm glad he's feeling hunger, just another sign that another part is functioning.

While we were sitting outside he wondered what his sister was doing. I asked him if he wanted to call her and he said yes, so I dialed for him. They talked for quite awhile. Shirley and Don are coming on Monday and I think it will do him some good. He's also ready to see the kids, but we'll have to be careful not to overload him or interfere with his rehab. He thinks he's going to be out of there in a couple of weeks, yet he realizes that things don't work, although things that weren't working yesterday are working more today, so who knows.

Ok, I think I've hit all the highlights. If any of you that I haven't already talked to or messaged have any suggestions on getting the meds straight, please let me know. It's driving me bonkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment