Friday, June 22, 2012

Yesterday was a day of ups and downs. Bill worked really hard in rehab and has made lots of progress. He shaved himself and finally decided to put his teeth in, which made a big difference in his speech rehab! His care meeting went well and hopefully the med problem has been solved, along with some record keeping problems. Since I have to keep a log for Mayo of when his meds are given and how much, we've come up with a system that keeps us both in check.

Bill had an emotional breakdown yesterday afternoon. He's tired of being dependent on others to do the most basic things. He's also blaming "them" for not working with him. He's wanting so badly to eat and drink but his swallowing is not strong enough. I've been trying to find a way to get through that he is the only one who can make the swallowing work. He's been given exercises to do to encourage this, but he doesn't want to do them. A Modified Barium Study has been scheduled for next week at Mayo to see just where his "swallows" are going. If he can start getting that under control, he can start eating. He's lost quite a bit of weight all of a sudden so his "food" has been increased to see if that helps. He is using more calories with being more mobile now in rehab.

Phillis and Jalena left yesterday morning and Don and Shirley are heading out today. It's been good to have them all here. The kids are going to start staggering some visits now. We don't want to overload him with lots of visits back to back or a lot of people here at the same time.

Hopefully we'll have a good day today. Bill's supposed to get a shower instead of a bed bath and it will be the first one since the early morning of September 15, 2011 when he was prepping for the LVAD implant. I know it will feel good!

I'm hoping I'm not as tired tonight as I was last night. We went out to eat after I got home at 7:30 and I wasn't up more than 30 minutes when we got back...I'm such a thoughtful hostess and make sure my guests are taken care of! At least I set the coffee up before I went to bed, what more could they want!

No comments:

Post a Comment