Saturday, June 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure that he's going to go to the acute care hospital, at least until the wound vac is done and maybe until the feeding tube is discontinued. Then he can go to the rehab hospital we originally wanted him to go to.

I toured it this afternoon, and Mayo it ain't! It's a little shabby, but clean. The rooms are small, but most of them are private and the room he would be in is where they would be working with weaning from the trach and the respiratory therapists have their workroom right there. There's a good size cafeteria that is open 7 days a week, only until lunch on week-ends, but that is better than Mayo since theirs is closed on week-ends. They would be able to administer his anti-rejection meds and I could bring them in and give them to the pharmacist since Mayo Speciality Pharmacy is supplying those.

The only glitch is that they contract with another hospital for testing and such and there may be a problem getting him to Mayo for his biopsies. I need to talk to Tina and the case manager about that Monday. I felt pretty comfortable with it. And, his physical therapist that he likes so well came in today and she said it's a good place (although she's not supposed to voice an opinion).

And speaking of physical therapy, after Bill did his leg stretches, he walked from his bed to his door, 12 feet. After a little rest in the wheelchair he walked out the door into the hallway, 10 feet. Another little rest and he walked a whopping 45 ft in the hallway! He did so well that he got to come back in the room in the wheelchair! Dr. Hosenpud said this morning that he would like for him to be able to walk 30 feet so he should be pleased to see that report!

I'm going to try to see the other place I'm considering tomorrow. It's close to the one today, I was just in the wrong lane and didn't feel like turning around!

This is probably all for today. I don't think anything else is going to happen and I don't know how much longer I'm going to stay. I should stay until the sitter comes, but I'm getting really tired now.  So, I know there was lots of praying going on last night and I thank you for them. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment