Thursday, June 14, 2012

Long, long day today, but pleasantly surprised at 6:30 to find Bill bathed and in the process of getting dressed for his trip to Mayo. The shuttle was fantastic and got us there right on time. Biopsy went well and as usual we will have the results tomorrow.

I told Dr. Yip and Stephanie our coordinator the mix-up with the medicine and she gave me a med list when he was discharged with explicit instructions on how to give the Prograf. She also called them and explained how and why the drugs are given and when to give them. When his nurse came in at 6 to check his feeding tube, I had to ask her to give the med and reminded her that it was to be given under his tongue and not through his feeding tube. When she brought it in she said that since it was a capsule it had to go in his tube. I explained step by step how it was to be done and why. This drug will clog the tube and it has to be given on an empty stomach, so putting it through the tube, into a stomach that is continually filled doesn't make sense. I know that these instructions were on the med list that I handed to that very nurse! If it keeps up I'm going to ask that I be allowed to administer that drug myself until he can swallow.

There is a meeting scheduled for next week about his care with all of the nurses, therapists, dietician and social workers. Hopefully things will be resolved by then. There is also a lack of communication there between departments. Our cath lab nurse called the head nurse (I listened to the conversation) telling her that Bill was to rest all afternoon and evening and do no therapy today. This is because they again had to go through his groin. In the 1st 2 hours of getting back to the center he was weighed, saw 2 CNAs, 1 RN, 2 therapists, a social worker, activities director and had a chest xray. Except for the chest xray I banned everyone from the room meeting them at the door. I had all of the lights out and the blinds closed with no sound so that he could sleep. I may make a Do Not Disturb sign for the door. I don't think that will go over well.

Tomorrow he's supposed to have his wound dressing changed again and I'm going to tell them to do it in the afternoon so that he can have therapy in the morning or he's going to lose the ground he has gained. I told the therapists this and they were going to let the nurses know, but with the communication problem between the departments, I don't know if it will get done.

Had a long talk with Mary Rose and my friend Pat who has been a CNA in nursing homes and they both gave me some good tips. Some I was already doing, such as making notes of these things. And, my friend Jan has given me some other good pointers for dealing with the staff. I'm hoping that things will smooth out since we've only been there a day and a half.

Oh, before I forget, Mom, thank you for the tote bag and thank Sandy for me. You're right I have lots of them, but none with pigs on them! Since I know you read this daily, it's easier than a separate email and I know you understand! I love you!

OK, enough of the personal stuff. I have some bookkeeping to do that has to be mailed back to Arkansas by Saturday so I'd better get busy before I fall asleep at the keyboard. I'm almost too tired to do it tonight. If I start making mistakes, it may be better to do it in the morning, or take it with me. So far I can't get internet access there so I don't know. Anyway, goodnight everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment