Sunday, March 22, 2020

Yesterday was a better day, not a good day, but a better day. None of the drs. seemed too optimistic in their assessments. Dr. Nowak, who is a partner with Dr. Threlkeld, seemed to be the most interested in what she was finding and the questions I was asking. The antibiotics are working already. His white count had dropped from 20,000 on Friday to 9,000 yesterday, after only a couple of doses. Dr. Schriner, from the lung group, thought he felt warm and his temp was 98.7, so that is low grade for him. I don't know how many times I have to remind them of that.

Dr. Nowak was also concerned about the blood in his urine. I told her I had brought it to the attention of every doctor and none seemed too concerned. I again voiced my opinion on the burst cyst, but since he is putting out a good amount of urine and his creatinine numbers are good, it doesn't seem to matter.

The doctors all said that his x-rays didn't looks any different, but then Dr. Nowak said that he hadn't had a new chest x-ray for 10 days! When Cindy came in from the heart group, I mentioned to her that I was surprised an x-ray wasn't done after he threw up Friday to make sure he didn't aspirate any and she said she would get one ordered. I don't know if it was done. I know they were in the unit in another room, so I went to get some lunch since they would make me leave the room anyway. I figured they would finish with that patient and then do Bill. No-one said anything so it's on my list to ask this morning.

He did get a unit of blood yesterday afternoon. The cultures hadn't shown anything unusual, but his hematocrit must have been under 25 for the blood to be ordered. I also don't know which dr. ordered it. None of the ones I talked to said anything about blood. It could be that Dr. Muir, who is the hematologist, just looked at his labs and gave the order.

It took forever for the blood to come up from the blood bank. I know they are having a blood shortage and Bill is O+ so, maybe they were having to really look for some. He had gotten most of it when I left. And he had looked at me, and really saw me, at one point, so I told him I needed to stop at the store on the way home. It was about the time I usually leave anyway, so he nodded, which was really the first acknowledgement of anything I had gotten all day.

His monitors had been quiet all day, no alarms like the day before. They only sounded once about halfway through the transfusion when he got a couple of funny heart rhythms. I wonder if that was the blood's way of saying "wake up, body and get back to work". I guess I'll see this morning.

I still haven't had any problems getting into the hospital, they are still just taking temps. After walking into the cold wind yesterday morning, mine was only 95.4! They use the forehead scanner ones. 

I also go to thinking about the cafeteria. They have closed it for dining in, except for employees. I didn't think too much about it before because I usually take my lunch back to his room. But, yesterday it hit me that they have screened everyone who has come into the hospital. And you can't sneak by, they have ropes up and security guards. So, why can't everyone eat in the cafeteria? It still doesn't make a difference to me since I will take mine upstairs, but sometimes I do like to eat downstairs, just to get a few minutes to myself.

That's about it for yesterday. Hopefully today he'll be more awake and aware again after getting the blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment