Friday, March 6, 2020

It was another good day! Although the night was something else entirely! I couldn't get the recliner to recline, so I mostly curled up and slept with my head propped on my hand sitting up. I woke up just about every time someone came in, although I must admit, Cole was very quiet, as was the respiratory tech. I did forget to turn off my alarm on my phone, so when 4:45 rolled around, off it went. I've already taken care of that for tonight.

I talked to Dr. Edwards and he was having a hard time breathing. And the morning wasn't as good as yesterday to start. Dr. Edwards said that we are stuck with him this week-end! I didn't see Dr. Aswan at all today, but Dr. Threlkeld said that it looked like the germs were responding to the antibiotic and he thought he would keep him on for a bit longer than usual. Dr. Muir said that all of his blood numbers were good and he would keep watching those. And then family started showing up.

Grandson Rodger and his wife Diana, along with our youngest to date great-granddaughter Ariyah were the first to arrive. Diana and the baby sat on a chair in the doorway since the baby is only 15 months old. But she and grandpa blew kisses to each other and wave at each other, and Bill winked at her. They didn't stay long, but will be back again tomorrow for a short visit before heading home.

The next to come were Joe, Tina and K'zalee from Texas. We had a good visit and while we went and had lunch, PT and OT came to see Bill! Travis did not let him say no, and after some exercises, he sat on the side of the bed! First time since that last time he was in ICU, if I remember correctly. And OT had him do his mouth care and he used the sponge and suction. This really wore him out, especially after the visits, and he took a lengthy nap. I also dozed some before the next visitors arrived.

Aimee, Lee and Dani were the next to arrive, with Mary Rose and William not long after. Jack and Petra decided to stay at the hotel. Bill interacted with all of them, including laughing at a corny joke from Lee...what is the leading cause of death in old men? old women! It was a nice family visit. When Aimee and Lee left to meet Rodger and Diana for dinner, Mary, William and I went down to get something before the cafeteria closed. We brought it back to the room to eat and sadly, Bill looked longingly at the food. Mary was really tempted to give him something, just a taste of something, but she managed not to. She and Bill did have a little private conversation, her just letting him know that she wanted to check not only on him but on me and that she would make sure I was OK. They left shortly after that and I could tell Bill was exhausted.

His night nurse is Cole again and he met me in the hallway after getting some ice. He had gotten report from Mikayla and he just wanted my input on the day too. He said it was too bad that Restorative had not followed up with more vigorous therapy and he was so glad Travis had come and worked with him. It's too bad that it's Friday and he probably won't get any therapy over the week-end.

Bill told me he had to use the bathroom and when I was showing him that he could just go in the tube that was there, discovered that the condom catheter was coming off. It took Cole 2 different catheters and some help to get it on, but he thinks he's finally gotten it securely on.

Tomorrow everyone is coming back, in addition to Emily and her crew, Ryan and Amanda, and Mistie and the kids. We are all going to be worn out! I've cleared it that we can use the conference room and visit in shifts if necessary. This room is small and can only hold so many chairs.

His nurse tomorrow will be Mikayla again. She's been really good with Bill and he responds to her really well. At one time telling her something about his wife and pointing to me. But, we neither one could figure out what it was.

We're still in a holding pattern as far as palliative goes. They are peeking in at him and making sure all is well, but they are also not pushing to make a change in treatment to comfort care. Bill is lucid enough that he could deny the change. This probably won't last, although he's fooled us all before, and then we'll move forward. Cole is thinking they will be getting him on his feet before long to get those lungs sully inflated.

Mikayla and I noticed that there has been a pinkish tint to his secretions now, but can't say for sure that it is blood from the suctioning, or medication or just what it could be.

Since we got the chair figured out, Bill is asleep, although I may lay his bed back a little farther and then I'm going to get my jammies on and turn the TV off and the light out. As long as things are moving in this direction, I'll keep posting. For now, goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment