Wednesday, March 25, 2020

It's now almost noon, nearly 12 hours after getting the call to come to the hospital. A lot has happened this morning. A new line was placed to have more access for the drugs. He's almost off of one of them as his heart rate is pretty stable now. They have the one for his blood pressure on standby as it has come up to an acceptable number. At it's lowest, at least what I saw, was 66/47. They have it taking every 5 minutes and it is now perfect at 122/71.

He finally roused up and opened his eyes. He didn't look directly at me, but he tracked to the sound of my voice. And shortly after that, they were placing the PICC line, and he woke up and looked mad! It was like what are you doing to me? He stayed awake during his bath and helped a bit by reaching for the rails. He did spit up a little when they were turning him, but not much.

Dr. Edwards thinks that it is an infection, and he says this happens when you've been in ICU for a long time. Dr. Threlkeld thinks it might be an infection that occurs in transplants sometimes. They were both going to look at all the labs and urine cultures and see what they show. I asked Dr. Edwards about the urology consult and he said the ones that are usually here are normal ones, the ones he uses are the elite and they do things on their own time.

He has been feeling the urge to urinate, and I've been having trouble keeping his hands away. I don't want him pulling the Foley out! We don't need anymore trauma!

His nurse just told me that his hemaglobin is low so, she's got to do yet another blood draw, most likely for a type and crossmatch and then he will probably get some blood. That usually perks him up, and since he is losing so much in his urine, it makes sense.

The hospital has instituted yet another precaution. Everyone has to wear a mask now. It is difficult to get used to, my glasses keep fogging up! They have also instituted a no visitor policy except for certain patients. Our nurse manager told the board that is making the decisions that she has wives who sit with critically ill husbands. She said as long as we just sit in the room except for meals and bathroom breaks, there won't be a problem. And she said if it came down to no visitors at all, she would let me know that I probably spend the night. Crystal from respiratory said that they could take my dirty clothes to the little laundry to wash them so I wouldn't be seen, and if Emily needed to bring me more medicine, any staff member would be glad to meet her at an entrance to get them. That way, I don't have to step out the door and then be told I can't come back in. I think I already reported that the gift shope and Starbucks are now closed also. It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me that family members can't eat in the cafeteria with the employees because we have all been screened and approved to be in the facility. But, I'm not going to make waves!

That's it for this one. More as the day progresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment