Sunday, March 29, 2020

I love our local grocery store! They are having senior shopping on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday mornings from 7 to 8. There was a good selection of meats and they had most of the "hot" items. The only thing I couldn't get that I wanted was some Clorox wipes and they said the manufacturer was backed up. I was the 2nd person in and was home by 7:30. I only put the cold things away and was on the road to the hospital by 7:45. It did feel good to leave a little later...and in the daylight!

Things weren't really good when I got here, and it hasn't really been a good day. Bill was holding an emesis bag when I came in the room and his nurse was with him. Today it's Mikala who he loves. But, he wasn't happy. He apparently started throwing up again about midnight, and had stayed awake all night. He had also thrown up this morning, which explains the bag. Mikala said she didn't want to leave him until I got here. And, by the way, Caleb did remind him that I was getting some groceries this morning.

He's had several things going on today and we are mystified by some of them. First off though, his urine looks a lot better. It's mostly been a lighter pink color. Some of that is from the saline flush, but I could tell around the edges that it was urine. Dr. Greenberger was pleased with how it was looking and said to just keep flushing it. He also said it would take a few days for it to clear.

When Mikala was changing the gauze around the peg tube site, there was some drainage that had never been there before. His belly also looked pretty red around it. She let Cindy and Dr. Edwards know and Cindy was already in the unit so she came right in. She took a picture of the gauze and texted it to Dr. Threlkeld and Ashley was here almost immediately. She ordered a sample sent to the lab so that was done this afternoon. His food had been stopped, and every time it was re-started, he started gagging some. It was left off for a bit and after giving the Zofran some time to work, it was started at only 10mL per hour instead of the normal 40. If he continues to tolerate that rate, they will gradually increase it, and it has been increased to 20 as I was typing this. He has also shown signs of nausea again, so he's been given more Zofran.

The kidney doctor said that his kidney function has actually gotten worse, so she ordered some extra fluids to be given to keep his kidneys flushing. This doctor was just the one on call for the week-end so Dr. Morris will be back tomorrow.

Dr. Edwards was just in and has ordered a GI consult, but whether they come today or not, Mikala wasn't sure. She's waiting on a call-back and she told them it was urgent so we will see. The ultrasound of the right arm did not show the DVT so it has cleared. His left arm is really swollen and he said it hurts so he's ordering an ultrasound of the left arm and told Mikala to pull the oldest line which is the midline. She's in the process of doing that now. Hopefully that will make him feel a lot better.

So, that's how our day has gone. I had told him since I was coming late that I would stay later, but since he's slept all day, I don't know if I will or not. But, then, I would like to be here for the GI consult. Maybe they will call before long. It doesn't matter if I'm here for the ultrasound or not because they won't tell me the results.

As always, I'll let you know when I know.




No comments:

Post a Comment