Thursday, March 19, 2020

God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform. I would cite this, but I'm too lazy right now to look it up!

Bill had a great day! He was not put on the vent, in full vent mode, last night. It was set on SIMV and then he was put back on CPAP this morning. He did fine all day, with no problems at all.

Dr. Sharma again mentioned moving him and I told him what Dr. Edwards said about the 2 good weeks. I don't know if the little episode he had yesterday morning will stop the count and we start over today, or if today was day 3. Anyway, that was the end of that discussion. Bill did write his name on the tablet I left him, and it was legible! He had also drawn 2 pictures before I left yesterday, a glass with a straw and a rectangle that represented a sandwich! I didn't get that one until he mimicked eating one.

Dr. El Hadad asked how he had been with being on CPAP and then asked about physical therapy. He told me that sitting on the edge of the bed was not good enough. I agreed, but what am I supposed to do about it? That's something he needs to take up with the therapists. I thought he would have therapy today since he had it Tuesday, but they hadn't come before I left and I didn't see any at all on the unit.

Bill was chatty today, and I could actually read his lips. He was enunciating quite well. Yesterday I couldn't make out a thing he was trying to say. He also interacted with everyone who came in the room.

We watched programs about cute kittens and puppies most of the day. We did watch a movie, but he didn't like the next one that came on. I have to admit it was a little strange, so we went back to cute animals.

I didn't have any problem getting into the hospital. All they did was just take my temp as usual. Today it was 97.7. They didn't ask any questions about who I was going to see or anything. It could all change tomorrow. Who knows.

The unit was very quiet today, and the wife of the patient next door was there. I don't know if she spent the night or what, but since they didn't do any additional screening, she could have just walked in. But, there was none of the usual hubbub. It was just quiet. The entire hospital was too. They are finally getting a handle on how to make the new setup for the cafeteria to run more smoothly. There was an attendant at the door handing out the silverware instead of having to ask for it.

I came home a little early today due to weather. It was 66 degrees at 6 this morning and nearly 80 this afternoon. There's a tornado watch just to the west of us, we're supposed to start getting rain any time, but the storms aren't supposed to come through until around midnight or later. I was able to get some laundry done and have just liked having a little bit of extra time. Kitty has followed me all over the house. I don't know if she's sensing the weather that's coming, or just tired of me not being here. I even had to carry her to the laundry room to get the clothes out of the dryer.

That's about it for today. I'm hoping that by the week-end Bill will stay on CPAP overnight and then maybe try trach collar again.  For a man we were told to move to comfort care and vent removal 2 weeks ago, he's making great strides again! Just goes to show what God can, and will do!

No comments:

Post a Comment