Sunday, March 29, 2020

The post I said you would have last night obviously didn't happen. What did happen were severe storms and tornadoes which we weren't supposed to get. Jonesboro, a city 50 miles away, got hit hard. The mall is severely damaged and several businesses totally destroyed. The storm then headed northeast and missed where my son lives by about 6 miles. We also had a tornado warning, just as I was sitting down to eat, so the cats got to explore the pantry for a bit. Mouse did not like being in there, especially with the door closed. And, by the time I got us all gathered and in there and got the information up on my phone, the storm had already passed us by, with barely a drop of rain. But, the rain and wind came after and it was wicked. Mouse was sitting on the cat tree at the window and when the wind started howling and blowing the rain into the window, he got spooked and hid somewhere until I called him. As far as I can tell, I have no damage around, not even the trash can blown over. But, everyone in the family is safe as far as I know.

Bill had a rocky afternoon, for just a bit. When he got one of his breathing treatments, he got really gurgly and then threw up again. This time Austin and the nurse practitioner from Dr. Threlkeld's office were in the room. I was standing by the bed and just grabbed to towel they use to wrap the end of his feeding tube to catch it. It was his formula of course, but there was a lot of mucus in it, which is new. Austin also noticed the mucus. They took over so that I could wash up, as I didn't have any gloves on. Ashley listened to him and said he still sounded gurgly and they were afraid that he aspirated some, so Austin ordered a chest x-ray just to be sure. I like it when nurses take it upon themselves to do what they know a doctor would do and get it done. But, even if he had aspirated some, he's already on the antibiotics they would give him for a new pneumonia, or a flare up of the pseudomonas. 

An ultrasound of his right arm was ordered also to see if the DVT, blood clot, in his right arm has resolved. If it has, Dr. Edwards will discontinue the Eliquis. Of course, there was just the problem with the clot in his bladder, but it also could have caused the bleed in the first place.

One of the kidney doctors came by and said they are going to watch everything closely. She came in during the vomiting episode so she noted all of that. Austin told me that is creatinine level had been normal on Thursday, was a little over 2 on Friday and 2.81 yesterday so it was going up. That's one of the numbers that lower is better. So, they are going to see, once the bladder is completely back to normal, if that helps the kidney function, or if they will need to do something else. Usually it's just add Lasix to flush them more and get any extra fluid out, but they may not do anything right now. We don't want it to get so high that they have to start dialysis.

He had some mild therapy, just exercising his arms and legs. He tried to ignore her by keeping his eyes closed, or focused on the TV. So I turned the TV off and told him to pay attention to her. I also told her that if I wasn't there, he's not allowed to decline therapy. He told me yesterday he didn't want to, but it didn't work. He's gotten so used to just laying around that that is all he wants to do now, complete with not even using his call but, just banging it on the bedrail to get my attention.

Dr. Greenberger, the urologist did come by, after his nurse had called to check on Bill. She thought he had been discharged. I didn't tell her he probably won't leave the hospital, but she said if I had any questions to call the office. So I was surprised when the doctor came in. He said the clot he removed was a bit larger than a softball. That is my analogy. He just used his hands to show me the size and I've been trying ever since to come up with something that describes that size. And softball works. 

He is still bleeding, and there are still some smaller clots coming through the tubing. Dr. Greenberger adjust the saline they are using to flush the bladder so that the flow was a little faster to take care of the clots. He asked if Bill had said anything about pain and I told him no. He hasn't even complained about pain at his penis and I'm sure it's sore. But, he had nothing for pain all day.

He slept most of the afternoon after the vomiting incident. Austin reduced the flow of his food, but it in half so that he was still getting some nutrition. He also seemed a little feverish, even to Austin, and his blood pressure dropped a little bit, but not enough to be concerning When he woke up, his eyes were clearer and he was a little more interactive. 

Right before I left his food pump beeped that it had finished the bottle, but there was still a good 3-4 inches left, so I just continued it. I found his new nurse Toya to let her know I was leaving and to tell her what I had done. The charge nurse Sara said they needed to put me on payroll. I don't want the work, just the badge to get in and out easier!

Our local grocery store is doing senior shopping 3 days a week, and Sunday is one of the days. I need supplies so I'm going to go this morning before going to the hospital. I told Bill I would be late and why but he probably won't remember. So, I also told Caleb so that he could remind him. I don't need a lot of things, since I stopped at Dollar General on the way home the other night. It wasn't really busy and they had eggs and bread. I don't need toilet paper or paper towels, scored them earlier, but I do need some food for me and the never ending cat food. I'm getting really tired of frozen or canned dinners, and fast food. I try to eat my main meal at the hospital. But, at the same time, I'm too tired to try to cook any kind of "real" food when I get home. So, I don't know what I'm going to get. It will also depend on what they have.

I was listening to the announcements at the hospital. Usually they are just for Codes Blue and Purple. Everyone knows what Code Blue is I'm sure, and Code Purple is when a patient has walked off. Usually that's from the ER and they've gone out to smoke. Lately there have been a lot from the 5th floor. That is where they are putting all of the COVID-19 patients. There weren't any walk-aways, but there were several pages for Code Transport from ER room such and such to 5west. I know they admitted 5 patients yesterday, most likely pending test results. Brings it home a little more.

That's it for now. I need to get in the shower and get cleaned up some. Feels funny to say that at this time of morning. Usually it's get my stuff gathered to get out the door. I'll let you know how today goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment