Friday, March 27, 2020

It's been a very busy morning already so I'll just jump right in.

Bill was awake when I got here and said that he was OK and he thought he slept some. But, since that time he's been sleeping more. I noticed that he had nothing running, including his food, so that told me they found something on the CT and there was going to be a procedure.

Sharon, his nurse who also had him yesterday, said that all she knew was the scan showed his bladder full of blood and clots and they were going to scope it and clean it out. But, she said they hadn't heard from the urologist and I had not. Dr. Edwards popped in and asked if I had heard and I had not so he explained what they saw and that it explained that he was nearly septic from this and it explained all of the bacteria they were seeing in all of the cultures. He said he would get the dr. on the phone, and he called him right then, and then texted him.

The dr. called back and said that they were going to go in and clean out all the blood and clots. He didn't think there were any new bleeds that it was all old. He said if he found any active bleeds he would burn them. The procedure is scheduled for 12:30 and he said it would take about 15 minutes. Getting him moved and prepped would take longer. They are going to do it in the OR instead of bedside to be more comfortable for Bill.

Dr. Threlkeld said they have sent some cultures off from the urinalysis they did they other day but he didn't think anything would come of it.

He's going to stay on vent, probably through the day since they are doing the surgery. Yesterday he was on CPAP again until they took him for the scan and then he went back on and stayed on the vent for the night. Dr. Sharma thinks we'll just go back and forth a while before trying trach collar again.

The visitor policy has changed again. They are still allowing visitors, but only 1 per patient at a time and we have to stay in the room for at least 4 hours at a time. We can leave the room to go to the bathroom during that 4 hours since it is in the unit. An additional visitor can wait in the waiting room, but the 4 hour block cannot be broken to swap people. After the 4 hours yes, they can swap positions. They are also not allowing overnight guests in the waiting room unless you prove you live out of town. Of course, I will stay in Bill's room if I need to stay over.

I brought all of my meds and some extra clothes today and am prepared to call Bri to be on cat duty. But, I don't think there will be a problem, at least for a few more days and Jennifer said she will make sure I have access.

That's where we stand now. I'll update again after the procedure is done and I talk to Dr. Greenberger.

1 comment: