Thursday, March 5, 2020

He's not done yet!

When I got to his room, after a pretty sleepless night complete with an IBS flare up at 1:30, the first thing I noticed, other than he was awake and tracking, was that his right hand was very swollen. I got his nurse and she looked at it. It was a little warm and he indicated that it didn't hurt. That in itself was something new, he was responding!

I told him I loved him and he said that he loved me too. He was making lots of noise again. Respiratory didn't want to put anymore air in his collar because his pressures were already high. So, he's been a little gurgly and growly all day.

I talked to Dr. Aswan and told him the kids were on their way and all that were coming would be here by Saturday afternoon. So, we decided that there would be no change in treatment until then.

The palliative care nurse came in and we talked, but she could see how aware and responsive he was. She agreed that when the kids got here we just had to cisall her and we would set into motion the plan to make him comfortable.

But, as the day progressed, he became more aware, was able to wiggle his feet, which he hadn't done and really "talk" and respond to questions. Dr. Mullinax, the palliative doctor came in this afternoon and was not surprised at his condition. He knows that Bill does things on his own time, in his own way. He asked Bill if he was in any pain and he said no so, the way we left it is that Bill and I will run the show. When we agree that the time is right, or if he becomes unresponsive, when I think the time is right, we will start the process.

Bill has been sitting in chair position all afternoon watching 48 hours all afternoon, and listening to it. Dr. Mullinax muted it and after he left, Bill pointed to the TV and wanted the sound back. He's snoozing now and his numbers are all good and he's really resting.

He's had a really good nurse today that has really taken the time to talk to him and try to figure out what he was saying. He was telling her something about his wife and pointing to me, but we couldn't figure out what it was. It would have been easier if he had his teeth in. He also pointed to my drink but I told him he didn't like Diet Coke. I don't think it would matter in the least to him if he could drink it!

I took a picture of him, but I can't get it to upload here. Maybe it will show up when I post the link to Facebook. God does work in mysterious ways and in his own time. And it must not be Bill's time...yet again! I'm glad this is a happier post!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, he does, Beth. I'm glad it was a good day. Prayers my friend, ������ My

    ReplyDelete