Tuesday, March 31, 2020

I think I have all of the glitches fixed, at least for the time being!

Bill slept all day again yesterday, even after sleeping all night. He had no episodes of vomiting so maybe he was just sleeping everything off. His heart rate was good, his oxygen level was excellent, but his blood pressure was a little low. But, since the DVT in the right arm is resolved, the cuff was moved to that arm and his pressure was much better. I still don't know what the results are of the ultrasound of the left arm. His hand is still very swollen and red and warm, while the rest of his arm is cool. But, his right arm is also cool and his hand is warmer even though it's not swollen.

We've found, we think, the cause of the vomiting. The GI doctor finally came in and said that the drainage from around the tube is just bile. And while the site is a little red, it is not infected. She said that the tube is just worn out, so today he's getting a new one. It will be done at bedside and she said she will take the old one out, use the same hole and pop the new one in. They didn't even need to stop his food. He's back up to the regular amount of food. The dietician said the formula can be changed again if necessary, but since this was sudden onset vomiting, I don't know that changing it will help.

His kidney function has increased and his numbers are better. They kept the fluids running until today. When Dr. Morris looks at today's numbers, he may add it back. It's up to him. The only one he has is the one flushing his bladder. The output there is much better today. It's still a little pink, but now it looks more like concentrated urine than blood, so I can actually tell there is urine there.

As far as we can tell he hasn't had a bowel movement since Friday, although I think he had one Saturday. That could also be contributing to the vomiting, there is nowhere for it to go. So, he got a stool softener with his morning meds. That may also help with his saying that his belly hurts.

The nebulized antibiotic has been discontinued, along with the mucomyst. The only respiratory therapy he's getting now is albuterol and sodium bicarb. I still don't know just what that does, but if it has helped, it doesn't matter what it does.

I started thinking this morning that he always breathes much better in the spring and summer and even though he's in a controlled environment, his breathing is much better. Maybe the bacteria has gone dormant again, who knows.

Now, I have to give a little testimony. This is nothing new, I've shared things before, so bear with me. Yesterday, Joseph, one of the chaplains here came by for prayer and asked if there was something specific to pray for, since the Bible tells us to be specific with our requests. So I told him Bill's belly. So, that's what we prayed for, an answer to the problem. And, we got the answer with a simple fix of the tube! I've also shared songs that have touched me and all week-end, and every time I get in the car now, shortly after starting the car, I've been hearing the song "The Healer Hasn't Lost His Touch". And He has not. When all of the doctors have thought that the end was near, when I thought the end was near, Bill has been touched and, well, we know how he's done. So, God is not ready for him yet, he still has something to teach us!

I've been questioned a couple of times now entering the hospital. Saturday they just asked where I was going and called the unit to make sure it was OK for him to have visitors. Sunday, after taking my temp, I was just waved through. Yesterday, they took my name, Bill's name and room # and then the unit was called. Today, I was just scanned and asked what unit. When I said Transplant ICU, she just nodded and said OK.

That catches everything up to the present. There is no time for the tube placement, and I've only seen the lung doctor who just looked at his numbers and didn't even listen to him. It's the one that thought we should just go to palliative care. I think he's even mystified, even though he told me he's a Christian. Maybe that's the lesson Bill is teaching, who knows. 

I'll let you know what else goes on at some point in the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment