Monday, March 16, 2020

I finally made it to the hospital yesterday after spending Saturday laying around in sweats. I'm feeling a lot better, my stomach are under control and hopefully stay that way.

Yesterday was day number 120...4 months since he was first hospitalized. This is the longest one, even after all of the problems after the transplant, he was only in the hospital 60 days before being transferred to skilled nursing.

Bill slept all day yesterday, and they said he slept all day Saturday, and all night. I'm wondering if they aren't giving him a little dilaudid at night so they don't have to mess with him. When the nurse from Dr. Edwards group came in, she said she missed me Saturday and when she said I was faithfully there, she got the standard "he's my husband, that's my job" answer. 

I did notice that his vent had been turned back up to 24 and I asked Crystal about it. She said she had seen that, but hadn't seen anything on why. It should be documented somewhere on why it was changed again. The only thing I can think of is that he started having trouble keeping his sats up. But, she decided to try something new and turned his oxygen concentration down to 45% from 50. I don't think there was any plan to do that originally, but since his secretions have thinned, and they didn't get much out when they suctioned yesterday at all, they may be trying to wean him some. His sats did drop to begin with, but then went back up to the low 90s.

They have given up on using the condom cath and now are just keeping him wrapped in the bed pads like a diaper. I don't know why they don't just use a diaper, or go ahead and insert a foley catheter. Sometimes he reaches for himself when he has to go and other times he doesn't so it seems that the foley, especially since we know he won't be coming home, would be the best way to go.

We had a nurse change in the middle of the day and the one who took over told me she has taken care of him many times at night and that it was finally good to meet me. She said when he would get agitated, all they had to do was tell him that I would be there soon and he would calm down. She said he never made her write my phone number down on her glove, with my name, so that she could call and tell me to come to the hospital. She said she could tell just how much he loves me. That was so sweet of her. She also said he would point to "the picture" on the wall, so I guess he does know what it means!

With all the panic around the coronavirus, I will probably end up just staying at the hospital before long. I've got to get some refills on a med and will take care of that today. So far they are still letting visitors in, but are now limiting them to 2 per patient and children are not allowed under 16, and 14 in certain areas. So, I do believe that confinement is coming soon. 

This may sound strange, but I am really glad that Bill is already in the hospital, on a vent. I don't believe that they would remove him from it to use it for another patient just because he is terminal already. In Italy, maybe, but I don't think that would happen here. So, he is in the best place he can be with his compromised immune system and lung issues. 

I also have to keep reminding myself that I am in the age group that they are suggesting not go out unless absolutely necessary. I guess that comes from feeling younger than what the calendar shows! Although, sometimes I feel twice as old as I am. But, I am following the guidelines of "social distancing" (hard to do in a full elevator) and all of the normal precautions. I can't use the hand sanitizer at the hospital, it has aloe in it as does most sanitizers, but I can use the soap, so wash my hands it is. And since my allergies have kicked in, I can hear myself wheezing this morning, I try not to touch my face unless I have a tissue.

As in most states now, our schools have closed for the next 2 weeks. As far as I know our restaurants are still open. Our local grocery store is scrambling to bring delivery online. They have online ordering already, but you have to pick it up. But, the town that Ryan and Amanda live in have delivery from their store, and since Ryan's truck is still not fixed, it will be a big help for them. Ryan said he needs to pick up Amanda's seizure medicine at Walmart and so far hasn't found anyone who can take him. I wish he didn't live so far away, Bill is my priority so he'll just have to keep trying. Maybe there is a local pharmacy that will deliver there too.

That's all I've got. It wasn't much of an update for Bill, but when you sleep all day, there's not much to update. Maybe he'll be awake today. And maybe the sleeping all the time now is more of coming to the end. He does still wake up and respond and then goes right back to sleep. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to take my laptop or not. The part that says start staying at the hospital says take it, the part that says keep coming home says no. Since I have to take care of meds today, I'll probably talk to some of the unit managers and make my decision then. You'll know when I know. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment