Thursday, May 24, 2012

Good Morning! Bill has been moved out of  ICU and down to the transplant floor! He had been moved right before I got here so it was a little shock to go to his room and see it empty and a regular bed in it. I got hugs from favorite nurses as I headed back down, and hugs from favorite nurses when I got down to his room.

He's awake and aware and communicating some. He has winked, nodded his head, squeezed hands and is coughing. He's moving around some now like he's getting uncomfortable so maybe he'll try to shift himself. That's the only drawback to being here instead of upstairs. The nurse/patient ratio is different and this floor doesn't have the patient crane to move him from bed to chair. But, since this is more of a rehab floor, it's understandable.

I asked him if he wanted to look at pictures of the kids today and he nodded, so I think we'll try that and see if he can identify them...especially if they get him to talk some. I don't know when the therapists will get to this floor today. I saw Dr. Yip a little while ago so he should be in before too long.

We are having to keep his door closed now. In ICU there's a special air filter system but it's not down here. So, for at least a week we will have to keep the door closed and restrict visitors so we don't risk infection. Now the real work starts as far as tracking meds and vitals and teaching. But, I've read through my books and looked at all the charts. And, since we had to chart and keep track of things with the LVAD it won't be that much of a hardship.

All for now. I'll let you know how the day goes. Pray for a good one and progress to be made!

No comments:

Post a Comment