Wednesday, May 30, 2012

So far the good days are outweighing the bad days! Bill was very alert today and did well with physical therapy. He sat on the edge of the bed for about 5 minutes and, when they wanted to move him to his chair, they used a stand instead of sliding him from the bed. So, he stood for about 2 seconds on the stand and then another 2 seconds to get off the stand.

He did not want to pay attention to the speech pathologist today. He did indicate that it was hard to breathe, but he would not try to clear his throat or move his tongue for her. He did finally mouth "bye" to her and as soon as she was out of the room he wiggled his tongue around like she wanted him to!

He was also very mischevious. I needed to clean his dentures but he was out of cleanser so I went to the gift shop to get some. I was gone 10 minutes and in that time he again took off his trach collar with the oxygen and then tried to smile his way out of it! And, shortly after that I looked over at him and he was watching me talk to Emily on the phone. As soon as he saw me looking at him he raised 1 finger and started shaking it at me like I had done to him earlier!

He started pointing to himself and around the room today so I asked him if he was wondering what had happened and he nodded. So I explained to him about the transplant and that he had a stroke but he was getting better. I don't know if that was a good or bad thing, but his mind is working enough to realize something was wrong. He seemed upset a little at first but then really started moving his arms and legs and fingers. So maybe that gave him a little incentive.

He's having his biopsy tomorrow. They were going to do it today to begin with, but it got postponed. I don't know if there was a problem with another patient in the cath lab or what. So, his is tomorrow and since he will have to lay still afterwards, he told me he would work with the PMV on his trach. They are still holding off on the NG tube until they give him a little more time with it.

When I left tonight I asked him if he was going to behave and he shook his head no. He "told" me he and the nurses are going to have a wild party tonight and instead of dancing they are going to have wheelchair races! So, he still has his sense of humor.

All for now. I have some laundry going and need to get it in the dryer so that I can go to bed before long. I'll let you know how the biopsy goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment