Thursday, May 3, 2012

This has been a very trying day to say the least. I finally talked to the dr. about 1 and he explained a little more about what they think happened. He said the heart was beating fine and all of a sudden both ventricles opened at the same time. He said the EKG looked like it was trying to have a heart attack and that there was a blockage somewhere. Since Bill had no antibodies that would account for an immediate rejection of the heart, they suspect either that the heart was stunned from stopping and starting or some air got trapped in an artery.

He has been implanted with 2 temporary pumps, one on each ventricle, to keep blood flow through his body. If it is just stunned, they are hoping that after resting the heart for 24 hours it will start beating again, although I don't think that this is going to happen.

The main concern now is brain function. His kidneys are working and producing good urine, his lungs are fine and his liver is functioning. His blood pressure is good and they were going to reduce some of the medication for that purpose. He is still heavily sedated and on a ventilator. If the cause of the heart problem is air, there is a chance that it moved to his brain causing either brain damage or brain death. Because of the pumps he cannot have a CT scan so tomorrow morning the plan is to lighten the sedation to see if he will respond to simple commands such as wiggling fingers and toes.

Dr. Patel has explained that this dual pump situation is really just a high-powered life support system and our VAD nurse has said that most people stay on it less than 30 days. He cannot leave the hospital with this system in place. He is still listed as 1A for transplant, although if a heart became available today he is much too critical to be transplanted. But, providing there is no problem with his brain and he improves overall, it would be possible in 24-48 hours.

I was finally able to see him late this afternoon and he didn't look as bad as I anticipated. He was under a warming blanket and was pleasantly warm to the touch. Of course he didn't respond to me but I didn't expect him to. But, wouldn't it be a wonderful miracle if he had opened his eyes at the sound of my voice! It would also be a first! See, I haven't completely lost my sense of humor!

I've come home for a nap, which didn't happen, and a shower, which will happen in just a little bit. Harris and Beth are about 10 miles out and I have to guide them to the condo. After they get here, I will clean up and then we will all head back to the hospital.

I know these people will not see this post but I have to thank Cindi Mytrysak, Eileen Ryan and Faith Sistan for staying with me today. I wouldn't have made it through the day without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment